[conspire] he.net woes --> seeking ISP recommendations

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Oct 29 19:50:12 PDT 2007

begin David Fox quotation of Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 06:31:48PM -0700:
> On Oct 29, 2007 5:45 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > "ISP recommendations" is a quasi-religious question.  Raw Bandwidth
> > Communications continues to Work for Me<tm>, and I recommend the company
> > highly to people who are self-supporting, e.g., run their own machines.
>
> Ditto. Recommended highly. When I was with them (up until May of this
> year) I simply pointed everyone to m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com (my dsl
> address), after setting Postfix up, and just ran my own mail server.
> Works wonderfully, and if I need to connect from elsewhere, I have a
> ssh session open.

I agree.  If you get a Raw Bandwidth account based
on a list member's recommendation, please tell the
company -- it's important for ISPs to know that they
get loyal users through good support of Internet
standards (and therefore Linux.)

> When I moved, I switched providers (wiline.com). I've since migrated
> to gmail, in the hopes that someday, if or when I get around to it,
> I'll be running mail just like I have been doing. There is something
> to be said in favor of doing mail over the net, which includes high
> availability (if you have a good mail server), and being able to
> connect easily from elsewhere. Of course, if you do ssh, then all you
> need is an ssh connection. If you read mail with a GUI (sylpheed, in
> my case) you need more than plain ssh, of course.

With a little config file tweaking you can get the
benefits of both "hacker" and "executive" style mail.

  http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/134
  http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/143

I'm writing this from an ssh session to the server,
but when I get back to my regular laptop I'll just
sync up and be back where I was, ready to work
offline.

> But of course there is a downside to web-based email - it's slow, and
> much less flexible (in theory at least -- but then again, sylpheed
> would take forever to start up because of my relatively *huge* inbox)
> - and at least theoretically, gmail has more computing resources than
> I have at my disposal, too. :) Plus they add available spool space all
> the time. Right now, my gmail account has about 4.5 gigs available :).

I hear that Gmail has IMAP support now.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/