[conspire] he.net woes --> seeking ISP recommendations

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Mon Oct 29 23:03:28 PDT 2007

All,

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:
] "ISP recommendations" is a quasi-religious question. Raw Bandwidth
] Communications continues to Work for Me<tm>, and I recommend the com-
] pany highly to people who are self-supporting, e.g., run their own
] machines.

David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com>:
] Ditto. Recommended highly. When I was with them (up until May of
] this year) I simply pointed everyone to m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com (my
] dsl address), after setting Postfix up, and just ran my own mail serv-
] er. Works wonderfully, and if I need to connect from elsewhere, I have
] a ssh session open.

Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>:
] I agree. If you get a Raw Bandwidth account based on a list member's
] recommendation, please tell the company -- it's important for ISPs to
] know that they get loyal users through good support of Internet stan-
] dards (and therefore Linux.)

Thanks for the recommendations. Do any of you gentlemen get your net-
work connectivity from another provider, e.g. from cable, and have your
domains hosted at Raw Bandwidth?

I dropped my SBC DSL line 4-5 years ago and at that time switched over
to cable. If I got my actual network connectivity from Raw Bandwidth, it
appears that I'd be required to re-sign with SBC, no? Am I reading <http
://www.rawbandwidth.com/services/res.html> correctly? In that case, it
appears that my network connectivity alone would be in the vicinity of
$45.00 per month.

May I ask how much you gentlemen are paying or did pay Raw Bandwidth,
monthly, for which services? I'd prefer not to go too far above $50.00
per month for domain hosting. If that's not a reasonable expectation,
perhaps I also need to look into virtual domain hosting.

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:
] Both Exim4 and Postfix are fine. Some like others. More at "MTAs" on
] <http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail/>.
]
] > I'd be running it under Debian 4.x stable system if dedicated is
] > required.
]
] Default MTA and path of least resistance on Debian is Exim4. Postfix
] and others are available with fairly trivial effort.
]
] I personally like to use Debian's Exim4 + related packages and follow
] the instructions here: "Eximconfig" on <http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail/>.

Thank you. Exim4 sounds like a perfectly reasonable "initial value" for
me, personally. Who knows what other value (mailer) I'll end up iterating
to, over the next two or three years, but Exim4 sounds like a perfectly
reasonable starting point.

Regards and continued thanks,
Eric
--
"No, Groucho is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend."
--Groucho Marx

Eric De MUND   | Ixian Systems           | Jab: eadixian at jabber.org/main
ead at ixian.com  | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | Y!M: ead0002
ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | ICQ: 811788