[conspire] he.net woes --> seeking ISP recommendations

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:31:48 PDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007 5:45 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> "ISP recommendations" is a quasi-religious question.  Raw Bandwidth
> Communications continues to Work for Me<tm>, and I recommend the company
> highly to people who are self-supporting, e.g., run their own machines.

Ditto. Recommended highly. When I was with them (up until May of this
year) I simply pointed everyone to m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com (my dsl
address), after setting Postfix up, and just ran my own mail server.
Works wonderfully, and if I need to connect from elsewhere, I have a
ssh session open.

When I moved, I switched providers (wiline.com). I've since migrated
to gmail, in the hopes that someday, if or when I get around to it,
I'll be running mail just like I have been doing. There is something
to be said in favor of doing mail over the net, which includes high
availability (if you have a good mail server), and being able to
connect easily from elsewhere. Of course, if you do ssh, then all you
need is an ssh connection. If you read mail with a GUI (sylpheed, in
my case) you need more than plain ssh, of course.

But of course there is a downside to web-based email - it's slow, and
much less flexible (in theory at least -- but then again, sylpheed
would take forever to start up because of my relatively *huge* inbox)
- and at least theoretically, gmail has more computing resources than
I have at my disposal, too. :) Plus they add available spool space all
the time. Right now, my gmail account has about 4.5 gigs available :).