[conspire] mediawiki issue

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 16:26:42 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> If there is anyone here who is experienced with mediawiki, the software that
> runs Wikipedia, I would be very grateful for some tips as to this problem.
> Essentially, mediawiki is not letting us edit newly-created pages.  We get
> the error message given below when we try to do so.  One of our community
> members installed a new version of Mediwiki, the most current version,
> version 1.11.0, and most of the functionality is there and working fine.
>
> I have tried to start a new page called "test page" here
>
> http://digitaltippingpoint.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wiki_Coffee_House
>
> If you click on the familiar pale red page name, normally mediawiki would
> take you to the page, and allow you to start editing.  In this case, though,
> clicking on the the pale red word, "test page" on the link above produces
> the error message given below.  We have not found a whole lot of helpful
> stuff from googling.
>
> Thanks either way for considering my request!
>
> ************
> Database error A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate
> a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
> (SQL query hidden) from within function "". MySQL returned error "1267:
> Illegal mix of collations (latin1_bin,IMPLICIT) and
> (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' (localhost)".

This link gives an overview of the concepts of server
charater set and server collation. It shows how to set the defaults:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Charset-server.html

There's some hints on figuring out what could be going on,
but I'd say you'd first need to find out the full text of the
SQL query that mediawiki is issuing. Once you know the
table names, then according to
  http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=3611
you can diagnose this error message by running MySQL commands
 "show full columns from <table1>"
and
"show full columns from <table2>".
to see the character set which has been set for the columns involved in
the query.

The output may show you that the collation is set to "latin1_bin" in one
table and "latin1_swedish_ci" on the other.

The link suggests modifying the character set of the column using:
  alter table <table1> modify column <col1> varchar(32) character set latin1;
but most likely there's some bug in the mediawiki build that's causing this,
or a dependency issue on the MySQL version. At least I hope we can
"google" a bit further, now that we've some idea of what the error message
is trying to tell us...

Cheers,
Peter.