[conspire] wedged Debian Sid

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:56:10 PDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> Then trying to install
>
> $ sudo apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6.22-2-k7
> Reading package lists... Done

I don't see why you would pull 2.6.22 out of etch. It's not in etch,
the last time I checked, etch went stable with 2.6.18 something. It
was the kernel I was running,
on lenny, up until recently (2 days ago) when I decided I'd try and
get the nvidia drivers working again in my install, being on vacation
and such.

So, I added sid sources (but kept preferences and pinning to "Testing"
branch) and installed the 2.6.22 by (-t unstable).

> I asked on debian-user and someone suggested:
>
> - boot a Debian(-based) live/rescue CD with a new enough kernel
> - chroot into your normal installation
> - update libc6 et al.

Seems reasonable but given the age of your sid (if it is using that
old of a kernel, the rest might be pretty old as well) you might still
be able to do a dist upgrade first, and then if that works install the
new kernel. It's fairly normal (as it was when running Mandrake) not
to automatically install a new kernel without explicitly asking for
one, so a dist-upgrade would leave the old kernel still in place.