[conspire] Ultimate machine (was:wedged Debian Sid)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Oct 4 10:37:20 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 12:56:10PM -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> > - boot a Debian(-based) live/rescue CD with a new enough kernel
> > - chroot into your normal installation
> > - update libc6 et al.
>
> Seems reasonable but given the age of your sid (if it is using that
> old of a kernel, the rest might be pretty old as well) you might still
> be able to do a dist upgrade first, and then if that works install the
> new kernel. It's fairly normal (as it was when running Mandrake) not
> to automatically install a new kernel without explicitly asking for
> one, so a dist-upgrade would leave the old kernel still in place.

Yes, and my memory isn't that good of when I built the kernel, but I
think that machine has been sitting on that kernel because of a XFS
file system patch requirement.  Otherwise, the machine has been keep
up to date.

I can't do a dist-upgrade, though, due to the wedge.  Unless you mean
after booting to a live CD and chroot.  I'm not totally clear on how
to do that procedure.

I have a new laptop and it's considerably faster than this desktop
machine, so I've mostly used it for ssh'ing into my laptop.  So, it
might be time for shiny new fast machine.  Might be more worth my time
migrating to that then trying to un-wedge the existing machine.

I don't follow hardware much: any suggestions of what hardware to put
in a new desktop machine?  When's Linux Journal's Ultimate Linux Box
issue coming out? ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org