[conspire] Building grub-1.95

John Andrews jla1200 at netzero.net
Mon Nov 19 10:23:20 PST 2007

On Friday 16 November 2007 18:45:05 David Fox wrote:
> On 11/15/07, John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:
> > 	Why didn't grub-1.95 build in the following instance?
> > I see in the config.log that the failed program  was   /*confdefs.h*/.
> > What does that indicate?
>
> /* confdefs.h */ is a start of a header file that the configure script
> uses. 'configure' essentially tests the compatibility of your system
> and its libraries by asking your C compiler to compile a large number
> of small programs and comparing the output against known values. Based
> on those results, it can guess what kind of a system you are running
> and/or tweak certain portions of the code based on what values it
> finds.
>
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> > compiler cannot create executables
>
> That indicates the possibility that your C compiler is not correctly
> installed, or your compile process is trying to write to parts of the
> disk that you don't have write permission set.

Tried getting build-essentials now its asking for something else.
Otherwise I think it should work.

checking for __lzo_init_v2 in -llzo2... no
checking for __lzo_init_v2 in -llzo... no
checking for __lzo_init2 in -llzo... no
configure: error: LZO library version 1.02 or later is required
jla at Home:~/grub-1.95/grub-1.95$

jla at Home:~$ ls
automatix2.key  grub-1.95                     lzop-1.01-linux_i386
temp
Desktop         initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic  lzop-1.01-linux_i386.tar.gz
DOCUMENTS       install_flash_player_9_linux  lzop-1.02rc1.tar.gz
jla at Home:~$ cd lzop-1.01-linux_i386/
jla at Home:~/lzop-1.01-linux_i386$ ls
COPYING  lzop  lzop.man  lzop.txt
jla at Home:~/lzop-1.01-linux_i386$

I got lzop version 1.01 and 1.02 but it doesn't give clear instructions on
where  or how to install it. When you uncompress it you get an executable
file with a blue gear icon.I think you put it in /usr/lib. Would cp
lzop /usr/lib work? Alot of things in that dir have links to somewhere else.