[conspire] Building grub-1.95

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:45:05 PST 2007

On 11/15/07, John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:
> 	Why didn't grub-1.95 build in the following instance?
> I see in the config.log that the failed program  was   /*confdefs.h*/.
> What does that indicate?

/* confdefs.h */ is a start of a header file that the configure script
uses. 'configure' essentially tests the compatibility of your system
and its libraries by asking your C compiler to compile a large number
of small programs and comparing the output against known values. Based
on those results, it can guess what kind of a system you are running
and/or tweak certain portions of the code based on what values it
finds.

> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables

That indicates the possibility that your C compiler is not correctly
installed, or your compile process is trying to write to parts of the
disk that you don't have write permission set.