[conspire] Building grub-1.95

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Nov 20 13:00:13 PST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 10:23 AM, John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:

> On Friday 16 November 2007 18:45:05 David Fox wrote:
> > On 11/15/07, John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:
> > >     Why didn't grub-1.95 build in the following instance?
> > > I see in the config.log that the failed program  was   /*confdefs.h*/.
> > > What does that indicate?
> >
> > /* confdefs.h */ is a start of a header file that the configure script
> > uses. 'configure' essentially tests the compatibility of your system
> > and its libraries by asking your C compiler to compile a large number
> > of small programs and comparing the output against known values. Based
> > on those results, it can guess what kind of a system you are running
> > and/or tweak certain portions of the code based on what values it
> > finds.
> >
> > > checking for gcc... gcc
> > > checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> > > compiler cannot create executables
> >
> > That indicates the possibility that your C compiler is not correctly
> > installed, or your compile process is trying to write to parts of the
> > disk that you don't have write permission set.

> Tried getting build-essentials now its asking for something else.
> Otherwise I think it should work.
>
> checking for __lzo_init_v2 in -llzo2... no
> checking for __lzo_init_v2 in -llzo... no
> checking for __lzo_init2 in -llzo... no
> configure: error: LZO library version 1.02 or later is required
> jla at Home:~/grub-1.95/grub-1.95$
>
> jla at Home:~$ ls
> automatix2.key  grub-1.95                     lzop-1.01-linux_i386
> temp
> Desktop         initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic  lzop-1.01-linux_i386.tar.gz
> DOCUMENTS       install_flash_player_9_linux  lzop-1.02rc1.tar.gz
> jla at Home:~$ cd lzop-1.01-linux_i386/
> jla at Home:~/lzop-1.01-linux_i386$ ls
> COPYING  lzop  lzop.man  lzop.txt
> jla at Home:~/lzop-1.01-linux_i386$
>
> I got lzop version 1.01 and 1.02 but it doesn't give clear instructions on
> where  or how to install it. When you uncompress it you get an executable
> file with a blue gear icon.I think you put it in /usr/lib. Would cp
> lzop /usr/lib work? Alot of things in that dir have links to somewhere else.

To build things you generally need the linkable (-dev) version of a library.

lzop depends on liblzop, and a quick apt-cache search reveals liblzo-dev and
liblzo2-dev on my Ubuntu 7.10 box.

Of course, when you build things The Debian Way, it checks the Build Depends
and tells you which libs you are building.  Or even auto-installs the
appropriate
devel libs, depending on the tool.

--
Best Regards.