[conspire] Invite: CABAL meeting Sat May 26th.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 25 11:24:05 PDT 2007

> In 1988, Marine World Africa USA repeatedly said they were moving "after
> 18 years in Redwood City" from the site Oracle now occupies. When did
> addresses in the immediate vicinity begin to say "Redwood Shores" instead?
> I know that maps labeled the area "Redwood Shores" even in the 70's, but
> as far as I had seen, "Redwood City" was what addresses always said.
> According to the http://usps.com/zip4 web form, they still do.

Redwood Shores _is_ the portion of the baylands within the municipality
of Redwood City.  It's separated by a branch of Belmont Slough from
Foster City to the north.

Redwood Shores is still referred to by a separate name for reasons of
history, road topology, and psychology:  Because Redwood City didn't
annex the baylands at all until 1959, and because there was almost
nothing out there until development following Marine World / Africa
USA's departure in 1986, saying "we're in Redwood City" to people would
suggest the _main_, historical part of the city (incorporated 1868),
quite a ways off to the southwest.  Also, because Redwood Shores is a
bit north of the main part of town (Redwood Shores adjoins Belmont,
mostly) and because of the obstacle posed by the freeway, the only road
paths between the two lobes of the city run north through San Carlos.
I.e., if Harbor Road were a through route eastbound instead of
dead-ending at US-101, Redwood Shores would be better integrated into
its town.

(I see that Marine World, now in Vallejo, has morphed into "Six Flags
Discovery Kingdom"  Man, what a business boondoggle it's been.)