[conspire] Fwd: Ubuntu 6.10

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 23:17:28 PDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:43:37 -0700, Peter Knaggs wrote:
> > Yep, Feisty is looking pretty amazing. It even has open 3D support for the
> > ATI X800 card now in the radeon driver, so it looks like soon there'll be
> > no need for the scary "fglrx" driver any more.
>
> Yeah, but only as far as the X800 -- nothing later.

Well, the X800 is quite a bit faster than the nVidia 5200 so having
an open driver for the X800 is quite an advantage. I didn't expect it
to happen at all, never mind so quickly.

> What I'd really like to see appear in version 7.10 would be the Nouveau driver.

Wow, you mean it's already far enough along? Would it do xvmc too?
That's basically all I use the nVidia 5200 for. I'll have to take a look
into the Nouveau project.

> > There's also some bug with the compiz stuff on the radeon driver, the
> > windows tend to not "keep" their contents and just display as blank. The
> > beryl stuff does work solidly with the nVidia restricted drivers, though.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter.
>
> Beryl should tolerate the radeon driver better than compiz, but the
> capabilities of the hardware are the real limitation.

Indeed you're right: I gave beryl a try just now with the ATI X800 and the
radeon driver (I had to uninstall the "nvidia-glx" package, to get beryl
to start on the ATI, because I'd been using the nVidia for everything up
until now), and beryl is working very solidly on the X800 now. Very fast
compared to the nVidia 5200, and no black-window bug :)

It seems there might have been a few fixes that went into the radeon driver
after the Feisty "beta", because when I try booting the live CD and pulling
down the beryl packages to try it out, the bug is still there. But beryl with
the radeon is working great now from my on-disk installation of Feisty.

By the way, I'm finding the "negative" and "magnify" beryl features
are actually pretty useful, really. I've added the "magnify" shortcut to the
mouse wheel, so now to see what's going on in those mysterious tiny
windows without squinting, I can just point the mouse and zoom in using
the mouse wheel. It even works very well for video playback windows too,
with very low CPU overhead. Just aim the mouse, and zoom in. It's too cool :)

Cheers,
Peter.