[conspire] Fwd: Ubuntu 6.10

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Mar 26 00:41:36 PDT 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:43:37 -0700, Peter Knaggs wrote:

> On 3/25/07, Nick Moffitt <nick at zork.net> wrote:
>> Adrien Lamothe:
>> > Looking at the project page for Ubuntu 7.04, they are cutting it very
>> > close. I have to believe they won't be able to include everything they
>> > want into the release.
>>
>> Well, if you find a bug in the beta that cannot be resolved in a month's
>> time, that may be true.  But I think you'll find that everything they
>> want to "include" is already in yesterday's beta release.
>
> Yep, Feisty is looking pretty amazing. It even has open 3D support for the
> ATI X800 card now in the radeon driver, so it looks like soon there'll be
> no need for the scary "fglrx" driver any more.

Yeah, but only as far as the X800 -- nothing later. What I'd really like
to see appear in version 7.10 would be the Nouveau driver.

> Well, the only Feisty Fawn "bug" I've come across is that the 3D DRI stuff
> worked OK in Dapper Drake on the Toshiba Tecra 9000 but doesn't in Feisty
> (this may be a savage driver issue though, maybe they just haven't been
> able to keep up with the latest kernels). Other than that, the nVidia
> drivers in Feisty have improved quite a lot compared to the
> already-pretty-good ones in Dapper (although xvmc takes around 10% more
> CPU).

That's interesting -- Adrien said that Feisty finally fixed something in
the Savage driver that never worked before. I, OTOH, have never had
success getting DRI working with the Savage driver on any version of any
distro. If Feisty finally fixed that, I can't wait to see the result.

> There's also some bug with the compiz stuff on the radeon driver, the
> windows tend to not "keep" their contents and just display as blank. The
> beryl stuff does work solidly with the nVidia restricted drivers, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.

Beryl should tolerate the radeon driver better than compiz, but the
capabilities of the hardware are the real limitation.