[conspire] branching/derivative conversation - need for one common announce list

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 25 11:43:40 PST 2007

Quoting Steve Bibayoff (bibayoff at gmail.com):

> I hate to sound negative, but I believe if people wanted information
> from another group, they would be subscribed to that group mailing
> list already(at least to the announce list if they have one).

Concur.  Groups that have significant traffic on their main discussion
lists tend to also have announce lists to accomodate readers wanting
very low numbers of posts and _just_ announcements.

> Personally, I hate receiving announcements for other groups on mailing
> list I'm on.

I think it's a slightly worrisome trend -- in the sense that, if the
practice continues to spread, small mailing lists like this one will
tend to get swamped.  (Again, I'm speaking just as an ordinary
subscriber, here.)