[conspire] branching/derivative conversation - need for one common announce list

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 26 01:24:08 PST 2007

Quoting Steve Bibayoff (bibayoff at gmail.com):

Steve, I concur with your points.

> Straw man argument. When the group first forms, one or two
> announcements of the groups formation w/ MAYBE an announcement or two
> of the first meeting. After that, if anybody wants that info, why
> don't' they subscribe to that list?

Quite.  This is how the "Richard Stallman will be in Berkeley for two
lectures only" announcement differs from a forward of regular
announcements of regular monthly meetings at groups already known to
anyone paying even a tiny bit of attention -- especially from groups
that already _do_ operate announce lists.

> It is also clear to me that you are much, much more likely to reduce
> membership of the various groups because of cross posts and forwards
> of all/a lot/some announcements of other groups.

I don't think we're to that point -- but see the potential.