[conspire] Quick Question 64bit vs 32 bit Kernel

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:53:24 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 9:45 AM, Jose Medeiros <jose.medeiros at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> How can I determine if I am running a 64 bit Kernel in Linux and or Mac OS X?
>
> I have tried using Cat /proc/version and it does tell me the Kernel
> Version and the release, however it does not state
> if it is 32 bit or 64 bit. I have also tried using the uname -a

uname -a works on Linux, as others have said, but I am not certain
what it shows on a Darwin type (mac OS) machine. But are not all
versions of OS X i386 no matter what the architecture is (other than,
or course, the power PC stuff)? In other words, no 64-bit version,
right?

cat /proc/cpuinfo will tell you if a box can support 64-bit, but it
won't indicate if a particular installation is 64-bit, of course, and
likely doesn't exist on OS X.