[conspire] sound prob Ensoniq ES1371 on Fedora 7

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Wed Aug 22 11:06:38 PDT 2007

Heather Stern wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:18:24AM -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> Note: I posted this on the Fedora users email list on
>> Monday, 20th August 2007. I have not seen a reply so
>> I'm trying here. There had been other postings to the
>> Fedora users email list regarding sound problems but I
>> didn't think the discussions covered my issue. So either
>> the subject does not convey the problem I'm having,
>> people are not familiar with Esoniq ES1371 so did not
>> read the email, people were not interested in the issue,
>> etc.
>
> This used to be an extremely common chipset for laptops.  I have
> Crystal SOund 5880 card lying around** and it uses this chipset;
> it's able to work in OSS mode, or alsa.
>
> ** ok, it was the primary sound for my desktop. :)

I figure my sound card is supported since I see evidence
of it being recognized in the various output of cli
commands and in the log files I've checked.

>> If someone can offer suggestions via email that will be
>> great. I can bring my computer to the CABAL on Saturday,
>> 25th August, if someone could offer suggestions there.
>
> Dunno if I'm welcome these days.
>
>> Should I have used a different subject that better
>> describes the problem?
>
> I think the subject was clear enough.
>
>> [begin email posted to Fedora users email list]
>> I recently installed Fedora 7. During the install I
>> heard sound during the sound test. After completing
>> the install I still heard sound during the sound test.
>> I installed Macromedia since I want to have access
>> to political videos regarding Palestine on youtube.
>
> Since Youtube is web driven the problem may not be with your card
> at all but with the interface into the web browser.  I've heard
> (and encountered) that web hooks into sound can result in the web
> browser not wanting to do sound if *anything else* is hooked up to
> sound.  eg pysol on pause, radio on the side, whatever.
>
> I've been lazy and avoided mixing web-sound with othersound - watch
> mplayer with the web closed, etc.  But this would make sense for me anyway,
> my pipe is slim enough I can't easily take more than one stream at a time.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I can no longer
hear sound during the sound test -
sytem -> administration -> soundcard detection

I'm trying to figure out what to do just to get that
working, then I'll worry about getting sound to work
for youtube (Macromedia), xine/gxine, mplayer, etc.