[conspire] Need help with http://linuxmafia.com/bale/ ? - Google Calendar SMSs reminders

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 17 16:24:20 PDT 2007

Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):

> While that may be true, in the meantime the software doesn't exist and
> the features that Google Calendar offers are nice to have.

I choose to not rely on proprietary software, and in particular not on
proprietary software that isn't even running on my own computers.  I'm
glad you like and enjoy third-party-hosted proprietary software.  I
don't, and merely seek to be clear about that.

> If you want to host it yourself, maybe one of the free/open source PHP
> web calendar tools would serve.

I do have PHP iCalendar already set up.  See:
http://linuxmafia.com/calendar/ .  It's the best offering I have yet
found for displaying iCal files -- but as such I find its presentation
of data to be aesthetically pleasing but markedly inferior at conveying
useful information, compared to what BALE in either its manual or
PHP/MySQL-driven variants provides.

I also happen to prefer my own judgement as to event selection and
description.  (To each his own.)  But thank you.