[conspire] DNS question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 11 12:27:41 PDT 2007

Quoting Bill Moseley (moseley at hank.org):

> Yet, when asking the name server directly (e.g. @ns2.dreamhost.com) it
> would response.  So, I was wondering if bind was doing some negative
> caching.  My name server doesn't use any forwarders so queries the
> names servers directly.

BIND 9.x definitely does do negative caching.  I'm just not certain
offhand how one determines whether that's going on, for any particular
query.  I hadn't really thought about that, before.

It's a pretty good guess, though.  I'm sorry I don't know how to
determine if it's correct.  (I'd appreciate hearing any answer you get,
really.)