[conspire] Your Site Back Up

rick moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 25 20:21:18 PDT 2006

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> Hi Rick,
> I see your site (linuxmafia.com) is back up. It was down for a while so
> I sent you mail about that downness. I sent it to the alternate address
> (deirdre.net)
>
> Anyway, please disregard. You probably know all about it.

Oh, I did -- thanks to Daniel Gimplevich.  The system is so critically
short on RAM that the kernel OOM killer occasionally starts killing
processes semirandomly.  This was one of those times.

That is the biggest single reason why I need to complete my server
migration.  The next biggest reason is that I'm almost completely out of
disk space.  The third biggest reason is that the system's 2 x 9GB
hard drives have been operating 24x7 since 1998, and I have little
reason to think they're immortal.  ;->