[conspire] Fedora Core password help

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed Sep 20 21:41:13 PDT 2006

without destroying root password:

follow the steps to get in in single user mode
do not change the root password--

you're already in as root.
edit /etc/password and copy the line for the root
user to the bottom of the file and change the
name field from root to some name of your choice.
do the same with the /etc/shadow file (change permissions before and
after).
su - as the newly created user
change that user's password.

you should be able to reboot and log in as the new user.
remove the new user when done as a matter of politeness.