[conspire] Rick's Linux Gazette essay

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 20:38:52 PDT 2006

Just happened across one of Rick's essays on Linux Gazette (http://linuxgazette.net/130/misc/nottag/speaking.html).

Rick, I understand the point you are making, but I think you misunderstood my post. If you read all of it, you'll see that I'm referring to a live event, a town-hall meeting; very different from people posting to mailing lists. The panel member seemed upset that the audience was more informed than him and chose to create a dialectic, rather than passively listen to the "expert" panel members. The panel members had more than enough time to utter their profundities; without audience participation the event would have been next to worthless.

The point I was making was that some types of discussion and information are best disseminated as "tribal knowledge", that benefits the group, and that it really doesn't matter who says what, what matters is group awareness of the information.

I agree with your point about holding people accountably for statements of a slanderous nature.

Quoting Rick: