[conspire] (forw) The Naming of Hosts

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 16 18:26:51 PST 2006

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:35:07 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: volunteers at lists.svlug.org
Subject: [volunteers] The Naming of Hosts; failover lily-gilding

[Breaking threading because I stupidly deleted Heather's post, and so
had to get it from the Web archive.]

Quoting Heather Stern (star at starshine.org):
> Quoting Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com):

> > Say, just for my Linuxmafia.com Knowledgebase, isn't there some RFC or
> > other standard sysadmin resource that talks about host naming schemes?
> > I recently tried to find it, and struck out.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2100.txt
>
> You may recognize the author.

(Haw haw haw.  But noted, and used.)  You're possibly aware I
rediscovered that sterling April 1 effort recently, when I wrote "The
Naming of Cons":

http://filkerdave.livejournal.com/541186.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2006-August/002230.html

I actually had in mind Don Libes's RFC1178 (1990): "Choosing a Name for
Your Computer".

Anyway, with help from both the estimable Mr. Libes and the estimable
Mr. Ashworth, I've just committed an act of documentation, here:
"Host Naming" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Admin/

I hope that helps people in the future, when either they're trying to
think of new hostnames and the muse is on holiday, or they're trying to
stave off the boss's dumb pointy-haired ideas for naming schemes.

[...]