[conspire] (forw) Re: [ILUG] SLED10 review, hmmm, wireless lan so easy>?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Jun 19 10:33:42 PDT 2006

begin Rick Moen quotation of Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:20:50AM -0700:
> Quoting conor at discuskeeping.com (conor at discuskeeping.com):
> > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;572131177;fp;4;fpid;2
> >
> > Wireless LAN support (or lack of) is the reason I run MacOSX on my laptop.
> > I refuse to use those wrappers, they really annoy me. I would prefer a
> > tainted kernel to be honest.
> >
> > Might just give suse a go again. Anyone tried it?
> It would have been nice if author McAllister had bothered to identify
> what wireless utility provided the "convenient GUI menu" from which he
> picked his access point.  Saying "the OS did it" seems unhelpful.

He's probably looking at NetworkManager, which pops
up from the GNOME or KDE panel without identifying

It's a System Tray client, so can
run under GNOME, KDE, or Xfce.

(I don't know what it looks like under Xfce)

Anonymous convenient menus are better than software
that wastes _my pixels_ on "branding", but they mean
you have to learn the "xlsclients" command to find
out what the program is.

Don Marti
dmarti at zgp.org           LinuxWorld: August 14-17, 2006, San Francisco