[conspire] (forw) Re: [ILUG] SLED10 review, hmmm, wireless lan so easy>?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 19 09:20:50 PDT 2006

So, last night I reinstalled my old iBook's Ubuntu installation with
Xubuntu (Xfce flavour) 6.06 "Dapper Drake".  As mentioned below, its
default kernel -- technically, the revision you get with your first
post-install "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" --
finally fixed the nagging G3 iBook suspend/resume problem.  Yay!
(Laptop usage without suspend/resume technically _works_, but really
sucks.)

G4 iBook users and other sufferers of Broadcom bcm43xx wireless chips
also have good news, in the form of kernel.org kernel v. 2.6.17's
release yesterday, including preliminary bcm43xx support (thanks to a
very impressive clean-room reverse engineering effort -- and no thanks
whatsoever to Broadcom).