[conspire] Breezy Badger/configure something

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jan 3 23:38:23 PST 2006

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:34:47 -0800, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> To make use of it, you first have to make sure that you have "deb-src"
> entries in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  For Ubuntu, there may be a
> selection in the package management tools, but I typically do it
> manually with lines such as the following:
>
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe

Since I gave John a copy of the sources.list I was using at the time, and
edited it from there, I know those lines are already in there. BTW, what I
typically do myself is: First, sudo apt-get install build-essential, and
then sudo apt-get build-dep ____. Of course, the challenge is to fill in
the blank. If what you're compiling has a source package, it's usually
more expedient to just sudo apt-get install the binary package that is
likely also there, thereby eliminating the need to compile anything. If
there is no such binary package, in most cases there is also no
accompanying source package for the build-dep command. On those rare
occasions where there is a source package but no binary (excluding kernel
modules, which require a very slightly different procedure), such as the
case of installing pine on a plain Debian system, after the build-dep, do:

fakeroot apt-get -b source pine

That will generate a .deb file you can install with sudo dpkg -i, but it
will also leave the source and downloaded files in the current directory
tree.