[conspire] HELP - Can't Get Ethernet Card Working in Debian on Laptop

Mark Srebnik msrebnik at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 16 20:45:38 PST 2006

Greetings,

Hope someone can please advise this Linux noob....can¹t get ethernet card up
and running....

Recently picked up a nice little svelte (3.6#) used Toshiba Dynabook SS
(Japanese model). Pretty much the same as USA model Portege 3480CT from
about 6 years ago or so.

Decided to install Debian on it using recent Debian CD and the Toshiba
external CD drive.

Early into install process, got the message:

³Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM Drives...

2%.........

to Cardbus Bridge with ZV support.....²

At this point installer would just hang....so had to restart....

Had problems getting installer to work properly until I typed the following
at the boot prompt:

linux pci=off

Then installer would get past this point and go onto next steps. Everything
was OK until the step for configuring my ethernet card; a D-Link DFE-690TXD.
I tried selecting different cards (chipsets?) listed but not of them were
recognized by installer.

Eventually, I gave up on that task and went onto installing rest of Debian.
Thought I¹d be able to get card working later.

Rest of install went OK I think and I¹m able to boot up Debian and login....

However, I¹ve read various webpages about getting card working but so far to
no avail. I have gotten card to work in WinXP on this machine, so I know
that it works.

So....wondering if any of the brilliant minds on this list can help get me
this ethernet card working??

I could type out all the info I got from doing ifconfig, discover all,
dmesg, etc. but thought I¹d post here fiirst and see if someone got suggest
the right way to go about getting this working or whether this is an OK card
to use with Linux, etc.

Thanks for any and all help. It¹s greatly appreciated!

Mark