[conspire] HELP - Can't Get Ethernet Card Working in Debian on Laptop

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Feb 17 10:24:05 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:45:38 -0800, Mark Srebnik wrote:

> linux pci=off
>
> Then installer would get past this point and go onto next steps. Everything
> was OK until the step for configuring my ethernet card; a D-Link DFE-690TXD.
> I tried selecting different cards (chipsets?) listed but not of them were
> recognized by installer.

Adding "pci=off" disables the use of any cards at all, so there would be
no cards available to Linux for the installer to recognize. The driver you
would most likely use for that card is called "8139too" in Linux. You must
first get the CardBus controller working. You did not specify which exact
model of Dynabook SS you have, but here's a page for Debian on the
Dynabook SS SX:

http://glozer.net/dynabook/dynabook.html

Here is a page for RedHat 7 on the Portege 3480CT:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021212222819/baldwin.goldbell.org/portege/3480.html

Toshiba Japan also has a Linux website. Here is the front page in English:

http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/index.htm

The first thing I would recommend with this problem is to upgrade the
BIOS. The file you need depends on the exact model you have. Make sure you
don't install a BIOS for a different model. See whether your model is
listed in the scrolling list at the top of this Japanese-language page:

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/33pccard/index_j.htm

If it is, you can download the newer BIOS from there, after agreeing to a
EULA in Japanese. In any case, report back your exact model number, and I
will locate the right BIOS for it, and perhaps other Linux-specific
information. You may need special kernel arguments, non-default drivers,
and/or special configuration utilities.