[conspire] question about EIDE ATA hard drive to buy

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Dec 20 12:57:34 PST 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:57:45 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin at dslextreme.com):
>
>> I'm confused about brands.
>
> I forgot to add:  When I bought a 250GB IDE drive some months ago at
> Central Computer to use in my old souped-up Cobalt Qube 2 (yet another
> unfinished project), I bought a Seagate.  If memory serves, it cost
> about $15-20 more than the WDC and Maxtor competition -- and I attribute
> that to the better warranty.

At that time, Seagate drives were still very much worth buying. No longer.
I expect that it will be quite some time before I recommend another
Seagate drive. (Yes, this is indeed due to the Maxtor merger.)

Samsung drives have the worst firmwares of all, but in terms of mechanical
moving parts, nobody has beaten them yet. Also, they generate practically
zero audible noise. Newegg has a 400GB PATA one for $109.99 plus tax and
S&H. If Darlene has not yet placed the order for that Seagate, the link is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152043