[conspire] Cobalt Qube project (was: question about EIDE ATA hard drive to buy)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Dec 23 11:13:50 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 08:11:49AM -0800, David E. Fox wrote:
> Hmm. Haven't tried this, but it's open source, and free. It seems
> to be tailored to the manufacturer's products, but you might be
> able to use it as a generic mp3/ogg/flac server:
>
> http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

Yes, you can do:

    mpg123 http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3

I have a "Squeezebox" in my living room and it works great.
On my Linux and Mac laptops I use the java-based "softsqueeze",
but there's also text-based players around.

    http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/
    http://ex-parrot.com/~pdw/slimp3slave/

The server is a bit heavy -- but you can download a tarball with most
if not all the dependencies.  Since my server is Debian I just use
their .deb:

    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main

and apt-get slimserver.

--