[conspire] Ubuntu 6.10 [was Re: ... distro news]

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Dec 20 12:31:14 PST 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:17:23 -0800, Adrien Lamothe wrote:

> I avoided gnome until recently, now I prefer it.

I'd say you took the words right out of my mouth, except that they've been
coming out of my mouth for the past year and a half. Now for the other
half of what I had been saying over that period of time: One thing and one
thing alone has been responsible for this change in preference, and that's
Ubuntu.

It should be noted that I no longer say these things, because even GNOME
design represents thinking that is way too inside the box. They merely fit
things into the box in a different order from what one would find with
KDE, and therefore differing things are left over for not going into the
box. I would like to renew the call for a new, from-scratch desktop
environment whose design would draw upon the lessons learned from the
effects of the deployment of KDE, GNOME, and OSX/Aqua/Cocoa upon perceived
look-and-feel.