[conspire] Dapper & Easyubuntu

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Dec 3 22:13:53 PST 2006

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:41:49 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Random thought:  I'll bet the GNOME guys would frown if you walked into
> GNOMEville talking about the binary names of individual GNOME widgets,
> and scandalised at the very idea of someone opening an xterm and typing
> "gnome-volume-control &".

I don't think they would need to. I'd speculate that most people who have
ever executed any binary that uses any form of libgtk from an xterm think
twice about ever doing such a thing again.

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:55:32 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com):
>> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>>
>> > Your mileage _will_ greatly vary, depending upon which ALSA driver is in
>> > use.
>>
>> Ja, that was my guess, too.
>>
>> I'm guessing the app Paul was talking about is "gnome-volume-control".
>
> Actually, on reflection, I'm not sure.  More likely (per Daniel's
> comment, above) alsamixer or aumix?  Anyhow, I'd try all of those.

It really didn't sound to me as though Paul were referring to alsamixer,
and Ubuntu doesn't even ship aumix, so gnome-volume-control it is...