[conspire] It's a really nasty HP Pavillion -- and one I've researched before

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 1 17:57:56 PDT 2005

Note the ILUG hyperlink:  This system, based on an Nvidia GeForce4
motherboard, is likely to be a real pain.

----- Forwarded message from Adam Cozzette <mystagor at sbcglobal.net> -----

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Adam Cozzette <mystagor at sbcglobal.net>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: RSVP

Hello again,

Alright, it is an hp pavilion with a model number of "a350n".

Ah, well, now I understand why the recovery disk won't allow any repartitioning...I had read something on the internet about that, but it must have been as you said, referring to a retail windows installer. So then, will that be a problem or do you have a way of performing a non-destructive partition?

As for distributions, I'm not too picky so I'll go with Debian unless you recommend otherwise.

And thanks for describing to me the problem about proprietary code. I had actually read not too long ago someone mention Sun's proprietary Java code, and I didn't understand at the time what the problem was. Anyway, I won't worry about it too much since I was more interested in learning Python first, and I've read that Python usually comes standard with Linux. When I decide to use Java I'll find another solution(thanks for that link you sent me).

By the way, would it be at all difficult to install my wireless network card for use with Linux? And if so, would it be possible for it also to be used by the Windows partition? I'll see if I can find the documentation that came with the card.

Well, thank you very much for everything.
Take care!

> Alright, it is an hp pavilion with a model number of "a350n".

OK, I'll be researching that, and getting back to you.  (A few minutes
later:)  Hmm, looks like I've researched this model for a Linux group
before.  See:

http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/ilug/2004-January/009925.html

> Ah, well, now I understand why the recovery disk won't allow any
> repartitioning...I had read something on the internet about that, but
> it must have been as you said, referring to a retail windows
> installer. So then, will that be a problem or do you have a way of
> performing a non-destructive partition?

We can resize your partitions non-destructively, no problem.  (You can
help us by defragging, before coming.)  My point was that, if you ever
reinstall from the Windows recovery CD, you'll wipe everything out.
Most people don't quite realise that.

This is one of many reasons why we strongly urge that people have
installation media for the Linux operating systems they install -- so
that you can do them over, if you ever need to.  (I have a CD burner and
lots of blanks, so we can help you with that.)

> As for distributions, I'm not too picky so I'll go with Debian unless
> you recommend otherwise.

Again, please carefully ponder this:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=kicking#distro
Especially:

   I personally strongly prefer the Debian distribution, especially for
   servers. However, newcomers should consider starting with Xandros
   Desktop OS Deluxe Edition or Business Edition (recommended
   particularly), Ubuntu Linux, SUSE, Libranet, MEPIS, Lycoris Desktop/LX,
   Linspire 3.0 and later, or MandrivaLinux for desktop Linux machines (not
   Debian).

   If you're undecided on the question, read Karsten's Distributions Guide
   and consult DistroWatch, first.

We can talk more about that when you visit, but please do consider that.

> And thanks for describing to me the problem about proprietary code. I
> had actually read not too long ago someone mention Sun's proprietary
> Java code, and I didn't understand at the time what the problem was.
> Anyway, I won't worry about it too much since I was more interested in
> learning Python first, and I've read that Python usually comes
> standard with Linux. When I decide to use Java I'll find another
> solution(thanks for that link you sent me).

Just to make sure I'm clear about this:  Sun's JDK can be retrofitted,
if required, to basically any x86 Linux.  My point was solely that it's
often an extra, post-OS-installation step to retrieve and install it
separately.

Yes, you definitely get a Python interpreter and core libs with pretty
much any Linux or BSD distro.  And gcc/g++ for C/C++.  And
gcj/gij/Classpath for Java.

> By the way, would it be at all difficult to install my wireless
> network card for use with Linux?

As Dr. Evil says:  "Please throw me a bone, here."  I have no idea what
wireless network card you have.  Would you mind enlightening me?  :->

> And if so, would it be possible for it also to be used by the Windows
> partition? I'll see if I can find the documentation that came with the
> card.

You'll find that the documentation that came with the card is probably
useless for most purposes.  However, knowing its chipset identity is the
key to resolving questions like yours.  You probably don't know that
datum, but can supply its make and model number, which *I* can then use
to research the chipset, which will then let me answer your question.

This is why we try to get information like that (ideally) well in advance
of meetings when research results will be needed.

> Well, thank you very much for everything.  Take care!

Yr. welcome!

----- End forwarded message -----