[conspire] adding Linux to a box

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 1 13:37:19 PDT 2005

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> just dropped distro 12 on my hd, its simply MEPIS 3.3.2 test 3 and
> looks good so far but didn't test print or k3b yet, the bittorrent
> client & other internet stuff seems fine.

Just to warn people, that "test 3" suffix means that it's a beta, and
that MEPIS 3.3.2 isn't here, yet.  The MEPIS guy has a fair-to-middling
record with quality control on full releases; betas might be OK for the
adverturesome, but others might legitimately shy away.  (On the other
hand, it starts up as a live CD, so you have nothing to lose but
download and burn time.)

> Viewed the humorous, not for minors, foamy ill will rant from the
> hurricane zone - highly recommended.

Again, to clarify for those who aren't minutely familiar with the
Flash-animated cartoons you tend to play at CABAL meetings, you mean
this site:  http://www.illwillpress.com/

> The social policy around the Debian Repositories gives them the edge
> over .rpm distributions. kaNOTix comes with KLIK already installed and
> I get Flash from that 2nd packaging system but need to get another
> browser to view Yahoo.com acceptably. I didn't test the repositories
> on the latest MEPIS but it comes with working Flash and displays Yahoo
> fine in firefox or konqueror. It was possible to install klik on a
> previous MEPIS and I'm sure you can use it on Ubuntu and knoppix but
> it is for new stuff.

Again to clarify:  "klik" is yet another package-acquisition and
installation system for Debian-compatible distributions:  Knoppix,
Ubuntu Linux, Linspire, Kanotix, Debian, and potentially others.

http://klik.atekon.de/