[conspire] Is There Any Way To Run An Unsupported Scanner?

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Tue May 17 03:02:24 PDT 2005

The Canon CanoScan 4200F Scanner has an actual optical resolution
of 3200 dpi and high speed -- USB 2.0 (see specs below).  Fry's
has it on sale today only for $80.

It's not supported by SANE, or any other Linux software that I can
find.

Can WINE run MS-Windows [MS-W] device drivers?

Maybe VMWare and actual MS-W would work, but that would cost about
three hundred bucks.

Is there any other way to do it?

Apparently to write a SANE backend I'd have to run MS-W and Canon's
software along with USB Snoopy and figure out the scanner's command
and data protocols, using various test images, including some with
very fine detail (maybe made with spider silk, whose diameter is
about equal to the resolution -- 8 microns!).  In addition to
learning SANE internals, and a whole lot more about MS-W than I ever
wanted to know.  It might take a month or two; a nice project --
I like solving mysteries, and it would be fun writing programs to
sift through the USB data blocks.  Although I have lots of other
stuff to do.

Would Red Hat or Novell pay money for this kind of thing?

  Mark

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=120&modelid=10445

Consumer Products Home :: Scanners :: CanoScan 4200F :: Specifications

Specifications
CanoScan 4200F

Scanner Specifications
Scanner Type
Flatebed, color and monochrome
Scanner Element
Charge-Coupled Device (CCD)
Light Source
Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp
Max. Resolutions
Optical: 3200 dpi
Hardware: 3200 x 6400 dpi
Interpolated: 19200 x 19200 dpi
Scanning Mode
Color: 48-bit internal/48-bit external; Grayscale: 16-bit input/8-bit output (16-bit output when
scanning film); Black & white; Text enhanced
Max. Document Size
8.5" x 11.7"
Max. Film Size
35mm x 4 frames (negatives); 35mm x 2 frames (mounted slides)
Interface
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed* (cable included)
Dimensions (W x D x H)
10.2" x 3.1" x 18.7"
Weight
6.2 lbs.
OS Compatibility
Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
System Requirements
Windows:
Windows XP**: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed: 566MHz/128MB RAM; USB: 233MHz/128MB RAM
Windows Me**: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed: 566MHz/128MB RAM; USB: 233MHz/128MB RAM
Windows 2000**: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed: 566MHz/128MB RAM; USB: 233MHz/128MB RAM
Windows 98**: USB: 233MHz/128MB RAM
Software
ScanGear® CS, CanoScan Toolbox CS, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, ScanSoft® OmniPage® SE OCR***
Power Source
120V AC, 60Hz
Max. Power Consumption
17.8W (7W standby)
Environmental Conditions (without condensation)
Operating Temperature: 50° - 95° F
Operating Humidity: 20% - 80% RH
Warranty
Toll-free technical phone support plus 1-year limited warranty with InstantExchange program.****
Specifications subject to change without notice.
* USB 2.0 Hi-Speed is not supported by Windows 98.
** Systems with Pentium® III or higher, Celeron® (566MHz or higher), AMD: Athlon(TM), Athlon MP,
Athlon XP or Duron are recommended.
*** System requirements vary by application.
**** Warranty programs are subject to certain conditions and restrictions. See
www.canontechsupport.com for details.

What's in the Box
CanoScan 4200F Box Contents
 1. CanoScan 4200F Color Image Scanner
 2. USB Cable
 3. 35mm Film Guide (negatives)
 4. CanoScan Setup CD-ROM

Canon CarePak Extended Service Plan
$50.00 Buy Now >>

Canon CarePAK Extended Service Plan (CarePAK) is a cost-effective and easy-to-use extended
service program. It provides up to three full years of service and support from the date you
purchased your Canon product. CarePAK provides toll-free Canon technical support and includes
Canon's superb InstantExchange replacement program. Protect against unforeseen repair costs,
excessive downtime, and enjoy peace of mind for years to come knowing your new equipment is
fully covered.

* Not available in the state of Wyoming or New Mexico.