[conspire] Is There Any Way To Run An Unsupported Scanner?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 17 09:19:52 PDT 2005

Quoting Mark S Bilk (mark at cosmicpenguin.com):

> The Canon CanoScan 4200F Scanner has an actual optical resolution
> of 3200 dpi and high speed -- USB 2.0 (see specs below).  Fry's
> has it on sale today only for $80.
>
> It's not supported by SANE, or any other Linux software that I can
> find.
>
> Can WINE run MS-Windows [MS-W] device drivers?

Interesting question.  You should ask that on an appropriate mailing
list, Usenet newsgroup, or IRC channel:
http://www.winehq.com/site/forums .

If the answer you get there doesn't sound promising, then personally I'd
regard this as a classic example of "cheap is too expensive".

Also, I'm getting a really bad feeling about the "System Requirements"
that you quoted:  One notices right away that this appears to be an
MS-Windows-only scanner.  That implies that it's a lobotomised
"Winscanner", which (if true) would mean that $80 is overpriced, in my
view.

It would (if true) also mean that Windows-dependent VXD-type "engine"
software, compensating for the omitted hardware, is required to make
this sorry-ass piece of rubbish work.

But that just my opinion.  I could be wrong.