[conspire] Re: (somewhat OT) Epson (and other) inkjets

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 25 16:54:06 PDT 2005

Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):

> Ditto.  I have an Epson inkjet that refuses to print.  It may just be
> necessary to load the (Windows- and MacOS-based only) printer software
> and tell it to clean itself that way, but the thing's been a pain in
> the ass ever since I got it so it's on the way to the Surplus
> Computers loading dock (free recycling!)
>
> If anyone from here wants to give it a whack let me know.  I don't
> think I have the CDROM it came with anymore, but the stuff is probably
> available on their Web site or something.

In case anyone wants to try, here are some links that might be useful:

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml/
   Utility by the "SSC Localization Group" (no relation) of Russia
   said to reset the internal chips of _most_ Epson inkjets.  It's
   a proprietary Win32 utility, no-charge download.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/16333
   Self-help Web discussion site's thread on the subject; discusses
   the SSC Localization Group utility.

http://store.ink-refills.net/ink-refills-r-us/chipresforep.html
   Chip resetter gadget for all(?) Epson inkjet cartridges.
   Google for "epson inkjet chip resetter" to find more.

If you do self-service on the Epson printers, don't forget that the
burden's on you to dump the waste-ink tank and to (I gather) replace
some sort of "pad" that tends to wear out, that's somehow related to
that.  I believe the forum discusses that problem.

> I just bought a Samsung laser printer for $69 after rebate from Frys,
> and so far am quite happy with it.

Sweet!