[conspire] The deal about "Reply-To"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 8 22:56:55 PDT 2005

So, Bill Hubbard (who just joined us) innocently raised the much-feared
"Why doesn't this list set Reply-To?" question on a nearby LUG list
where one of the officers has banned all discussion of it, or even of
matters _adjoining_ on that subject, on grounds that the subject leads
to flamewars.

I should hasten to add that it's obvious where he (the officer) is coming
from, and one can only applaud his intention:  Flamewars _are_ notorious
on that subject, and nobody with any common sense wants them.  The part
that seems unreasonable is imposing a blanket (undocumented) ban on _any_
discussion of _any_ merely adjoining topic, including those exchanges
conducted calmly, without repetition or haranguing, and including _new_
observations (i.e., ones seldom or never seen).  That's excessive -- and
a mild affront to those of us who make a _point_ of those latter types
of exchanges specifically to _avert_ dumb, tedious flamewars.

But, if those threads aren't allowed in some places run by people who
need to lighten up and not be such control freaks, at least they're
perfectly OK in less heavy-handed places.  Like here.  Which I'll be
doing, below, just to prove the point and explain the issue (since you
asked, Bill H.).

First, I have to apologise for a paragraph that got mangled:  I write
this stuff really quickly, and I did a cut-and-paste screwup:

  [That officer] disapproves of people detailing netiquette matters on
  [the LUG's] mailing list, and (e.g.) on one past occasion referred to
  my saying "Cross-posting is generally a bad idea, and often leads to
  problems" as being a "list cop" and/or as "criticising" a fellow
  poster, the latter of which by public decision of the two immediately
  prior [LUG name] presidents is a misdeed punishable by sanctions
  including summary permanent banning without prior warning from all
  [LUG name] mailing lists.

Er, I meant to say:  1.  The LUG officer disapproves of people
discussing netiquette matters, claiming that's being a "list cop" or
constitutes "criticising" a fellow poster.  The two prior LUG
presidents declared any such "criticising" a permanent-ban-worthy
offence.  2.  The officer I spoke of (not long ago) classified one of my
posts as "criticising a member" for no better reason than my saying
(carefully being _very_ generic):  "Cross-posting is generally a bad
idea, and often leads to problems."

I pointed out to that guy in follow-up private discussion that I'd done
nothing of the kind, and (several times) asked him to please correct
his (public) claim to that effect.  He never did -- and it's the one
thing I asked of him.  (He _did_ admit that he'd misread my post.)

Anyhow, all of that is part of why I could not answer your question on
the other list:  The politics of that place is such that I get declared
guilty of "flaming" or "cricitising a fellow poster" when all I've done
is pointed out a generic truth or calmly answered someone's question.
Screw that:  We don't have that sort of baggage here, and can do better.

Anyhow:  The IETF's RFC822 specification (the core of the SMTP protocol
definition) defines the Reply-To header as a means for indicating a
different address (different from the From: address) to which any
Reply-to-sender mails from a responding mail client should go.  E.g.,
suppose I know that linuxmafia.com is going to be unreachable because
the machine's about to be rebuilt, and so want any replies to my address
to go to rick at deirdre.net (my alternate address) instead.  I send: