being a sharecropper in your own mind [Re: [conspire] Off Topic: Looking for a Bay Area group that supports Microsoft desktop/laptops.]

Tony Godshall togo at
Tue Dec 13 21:45:24 PST 2005

According to Deirdre Saoirse Moen,
> On Dec 13, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Mark S Bilk wrote:
> >Sounds like you want the Church of Satan, but I don't know
> >if they have a branch around here.
> I was just gonna say "Good luck with that" but that *that* sounded
> too snarky.
> Personally, I would rather spend my own valuable volunteer
> time dealing with open source, and that users of legacy proprietary
> operating systems are best referred to paid technical support
> (, but it's your spare time
> to spend, in this case.

What's the famous quote about how developing an expertise in
proprietary technology is akin to being a sharecropper in
your own mind?

A quick google search found me a nice geek discussion of it here...

...and it apparently came from this nice rant...

...and the original observation by Robb Beal about coding
for the Apple OS...