[conspire] Fedora Core 3 for a Celeron Dell desktop box

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Dec 8 17:27:47 PST 2005

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 01:00:16PM -0800:

> Ideally, I'd have written back and gently inquired as to whether he
> isn't overdefining the problem, i.e., inquire as to _why_ he feels he
> cannot solve his problem with anything but FC3 (which, of course, does
> not on first glance stand to reason).

Just looking at: http://fedora.redhat.com/About/FAQ.html

"Updates will be available for two to three months
after the release of the subsequent version; that is,
updates for Fedora Core 1 will be provided for two
to three months after the release of Fedora Core 2,
and so forth."

Fedora Core 4 was released in June, so that means it
would probably be a good idea not to count on getting
updates for 3 for much longer.

Yes, there is the Fedora Legacy Project, but it has
had gaps in updates.

http://lwn.net/Articles/119892/

> I get tired of getting jumped on when I do that (you know, all that
> "Moen is mean to newbies" crap, invariably floated by some _experienced_
> Linux user whose errors I've dared to correct at some point in the past),
> figured that things would work themselves out, and so did the lazy thing
> and just answered the question exactly as posed.

On any good technical mailing list, both the "why you
shouldn't do that" answer and the "here's how to do
that anyway" answer are on topic.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/