[conspire] Fedora Core 3 for a Celeron Dell desktop box

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 8 13:00:16 PST 2005

> There's probably no point in burning yet another set of FC3. I bet it
> would be possible to somehow coax the multi-distro DVD he has to install
> it with a bootstrap floppy of some kind. Even more likely, whatever issue
> caused him to "need Fedora Core 3 instead" is more easily solvable under
> another distro -- maybe even FC4.
>
> If after more e-mails, it is determined that he absolutely must have FC3,
> I'll bug Christian Einfeldt about lending out the K12LTSP 4.2.1 disc set
> in his possession, which defaults to installing not the K12LTSP distro,
> but a stock FC3.

I imagine and hope you're right.

Ideally, I'd have written back and gently inquired as to whether he
isn't overdefining the problem, i.e., inquire as to _why_ he feels he
cannot solve his problem with anything but FC3 (which, of course, does
not on first glance stand to reason).

I get tired of getting jumped on when I do that (you know, all that
"Moen is mean to newbies" crap, invariably floated by some _experienced_
Linux user whose errors I've dared to correct at some point in the past),
figured that things would work themselves out, and so did the lazy thing
and just answered the question exactly as posed.