[conspire] Linux program to remove mail from server?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 28 11:15:13 PDT 2005

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> Alternatively, you can make your Linux desktop _more_
> annoying, to balance things out.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7889

I do think that 3D Desktop looks pretty amazing -- but on reflection
don't know whether it would make me seasick over the long term, or
become one of those geegaws like your old Enlightenment desktop[1] that
you started only when company was visiting.

> My favorite way to pick hardware for Linux is to look at the product
> specs pages from the good small Linux box builders.  A small company
> will take a big loss if a cheap component fails at a customer site, so
> they're likely to use parts that have current Linux driver writer
> attention, very high reliability, and at least good price/performance.

Even at that, be aware that they'll sometimes recommend equipment that
has some sucky chipsets -- e.g., Broadcom network chips on motherboards
-- that are tolerated because the vendor planned to completely ignore
them.

[1] "We're not dead yet!" --Rasterman, as translated from 'Strine.
http://www.enlightenment.org/