[conspire] Linux program to remove mail from server?

Edmund J. Biow ejb1 at isp.com
Tue Apr 26 01:18:44 PDT 2005

Anybody know of a nice brain-dead, X11, open source Linux GUI program
that removes email from your ISP's server?  I have several different
computers in different locations (and even different operating systems
on the same computer) so I store my email on my ISP's server for a week
or so and download it multiple times.  Yes, I know, I'm a bandwidth hog.

In Windows-land there are a number of programs that enable you to check
the email on the server and remove it (or even bounce it, though I
gather that may just generate more 'bounce spam', since spammers rarely
use their real addresses in the 'Reply-To' field).  I haven't found a
good GUI tool to do that with Linux.  I did a search of Freshmeat,
Tucows Linux & Google Linux and came up dry.  There appears to be a
proprietary product called MailWasher
(http://www.firetrust.com/products/pro/free.php), but it only has
binaries for sale for versions of Linux that I don't have and I can't
use the source.

Kind of strange, because Linux seemed chock full of all kinds of other
internet programs, file sharing, bit torrent clients, download managers,
FTP clients, you name it...

I have multiple POP3 accounts, so telnet doesn't seem practical for me.

I did find a console program called eremove
(http://eremove.sourceforge.net), but it only handles one account at a
time, doesn't allow you to preview the plain text of the message, and
although it remembers the last account I polled, I would have to
manually reconfigure the server, username & password for each additional
account I want to process.

Kmail seems to allow me to bounce an email, but I wish I could just
right click on an email header and instead choose 'Remove From Server.'
Thunderbird/Mozilla has an account setting that allows me to store mail
on the server until I remove it from my Inbox, but it doesn't seem to
work too well, even if I empty the trash and compact folders.  Seems
like something like this would be a good candidate for a Thunderbird
extension.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to any other good places to
look for Linux software?  I'm slowly trying to acquire a little Linux
savy and am using it more than half of the time these days, but I'd love
to abandon Windows altogether, however I haven't found completely
satisfactory Linux replacements for some of my old Windows apps.