[conspire] news-to-mail gateway

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Tue Sep 28 11:18:36 PDT 2004

Rick Moen writes:
>Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):
>
>> You could make the newsgroup moderated and set the mailing list
>> address as the moderator address.
>
>1.  I never wanted to have a moderated newsgroup.  I woulnd't
>    particularly like that as either a participant or the moderator.
>2.  I'm not sure how that would get posted articles over to the mailing
>    list.

A moderated newsgroup can be defined as "a newsgroup that doesn't
accept traffic unless approved by the moderator; all postings are
emailed to the moderator for approval."  But if the "moderator" email
address is conspire at linuxmafia.com, then it will be routed to the
mailing list.  As long as Mailman's mail->news gateway adds the
"Approved:" line, no news->mail gateway would be needed.

[...]
>> If you're too busy to fix it, that's fine - volunteer efforts are like
>> that.  But don't leave a broken system up when there's an easy workaround.
>
>1.  The cabal.conspire newsgroup isn't broken.  It works just fine.
>2.  The mailing list isn't broken.  It works just fine.
>3.  The list -> news gateway isn't broken.  It works just fine.
>4.  The news -> list gateway has recently been broken.
[...]

Yes, but as long as a key part of the system is broken, the system is
broken.  I suspect most people reading this are reading it through the
mail interface, not NNTP.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net