[conspire] news-to-mail gateway

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 28 11:32:14 PDT 2004

Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):

> A moderated newsgroup can be defined as "a newsgroup that doesn't
> accept traffic unless approved by the moderator; all postings are
> emailed to the moderator for approval."  But if the "moderator" email
> address is conspire at linuxmafia.com, then it will be routed to the
> mailing list.  As long as Mailman's mail->news gateway adds the
> "Approved:" line, no news->mail gateway would be needed.

That's interesting.  But I'm not sure I want to get into that.  The
intended setup is relatively simple.  I just have to figure out what
broke.

But that sounds like a fascinating project for someone who has a lot of
free time and energy, who is willing to take on, if things go badly,
debugging of newly introduced additional problems into the news system,
the mail system, or both.

> Yes, but as long as a key part of the system is broken, the system is
> broken.

And has a sign on it, saying "gateway to mailing list is broken", in the
form of a post that details that.  (More than one, now.)

(In fact, I've just also found some newsgroup articles where I had said, at
least, that I was testing to see if the news -> mail gateway was working
and suspected it wasn't.)

> I suspect most people reading this are reading it through the mail
> interface, not NNTP.

I'm not sure what your point is.  If this is repeat of your earlier
suggestion that I should turn off leafnode because relatively few people
are (in your rather speculative estimation) using it, then I have
already answered that, and see no special reason to repeat myself.