[conspire] news-to-mail gateway

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Tue Sep 28 10:59:24 PDT 2004

Rick Moen writes:
>Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):
>
>> There's a newsgroup?
>
>Mentioned on the CABAL Web page, and on BALE.  This mailing list is (by
>intention) bidirectionally gated.  Something broke the news -> list
>half of the gate, some months back.

You could make the newsgroup moderated and set the mailing list
address as the moderator address.

People still use newsgroups?  I thought Usenet was dead, thanks to all
the spammers.

>> Sounds like it would probably be best to just disable posting to the
>> group until the issue can be resolved...
>
>I could do that, but then it would be pretty difficult to debug --
>and the effort of doing so -- and remove/disable language on various Web
>pages -- would be wasted by the need to un-do all of that same effort
>the moment it's fixed.

Well, you could do like I said above, and create a separate list and
newsgroup to debug with.  Never debug in production.  :-)

>I mentioned to Daniel (in person) when he brought this up that I
>_thought_ I'd mentioned the breakage on the newgroup side, for the
>benefit of anyone trying to participate, there.  He says I forgot to do
>so.  I apologised for my oversight.  Which brings us to Daniel's "When's
>it going to be fixed?" and my "I have no way of telling you that."

If you're too busy to fix it, that's fine - volunteer efforts are like
that.  But don't leave a broken system up when there's an easy workaround.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net