[conspire] Ubuntu

Bill Stoye skiffworks at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 8 12:50:46 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 08:38 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bill Stoye (skiffworks at earthlink.net):
>
> [Much appreciated report on Ubuntu]
>
> > the only thing I miss from KDE is 'K3b', which has been a very nice
> > GUI for burning Cd's; I've not had luck with any of the burners
> > available for Gnome. I don't yet have the skills to burn using the
> > command line.
>
> You know, you can certainly retrofit it using "apt-get install k3b".
> Try that, and see what dependencies (certainly, the qt and kdelibs
> packages, at minimum) are going to be pulled in by that command:  You'll
> have the option of saying yes or no to the lot.

I did look at what would be installed to get K3b(with Synaptic); it
required a whole lot of KDE stuff, 13 or 14 packages including base KDE,
lib's and it's menu. I may succumb to having to do it; if only I could
figure out how to use 'eroaster' but for some reason, I hit a wall,
nothing I attempt with it works. ??

Burning .iso files is a piece of cake however; rt click on the .iso file
in nautilus, select 'write to disc...' and whall-lah, it's done.

> I'm implicitly assuming that Ubuntu's default /etc/apt/sources.list
> includes references to the Debian testing or unstable package
> collections, or both sets.  I'll try to follow up with a second post
> giving some detail on that, or you might want to just bring over your
> machine to the CABAL meeting tomorrow (Saturday), and I'll be glad to
> show you how all that works.

Thank you for the offer to help, I would like to bring it over to the
meeting but I have a new monitor that is a monster(to me), too big to
haul around... a real disadvantage but the real estate is nice.

I'm not sure I completley understand the packages, here is my
'/etc/apt/sources.list':

"#deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted
#deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the
network
## and be able to use more than 12000 unsupported packages from the
universe archive.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted
universe

#deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty-security main restricted
#deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty-security main
restricted"

'Warty main' is what the distro comes with and then you can chose to
uncomment 'warty main retricted universe', these packages I believe are
grabbed from unstable. Warty is the name of the release.

> > I had been using Libranet 2.8 for almost two years but wanted the 2.6
> > kernel for better support of some of my hardware and I liked the simple
> > offering and menu of Ubuntu, but libranet hasn't come out with their 3.0
> > release after an original target date of mid August... I may duel boot
> > to it when it comes out for grins.
>
> Don't count that pair of guys who run Libra Computer Systems Ltd. out:
> They have a phenomenal record of staying in the game.

I'm not counting Libranet out, in fact I liked it very much; it had most
of my hardware supported, I just got it in my head to simplify the
system(other than K3b, never used KDE) and use the new kernel. I'll be
one of the first in line to reinstall(duel boot), if and when 3.0 comes
out.

> Also, there's no reason why you can't retrieve a 2.6 precompiled binary
> kernel from the package mirrors for your Libranet 2.8 system.  I can
> show you the ropes on that one, too.

I'm afraid I wiped out Libranet 2.8 when I installed Ubuntu... a brain
fart!

In reference to a subsquent email; I read in the Ubuntu-users email
list, many people using it as a server and have seen the instructions on
how to do so, may be found at Gmane:

<http://search.gmane.org/search.php?
query=&email=&group=gmane.linux.ubuntu.user&sort=date>

Thanks for your thoughts and time.
Bill