[conspire] asus p3v 4x

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 19 10:18:37 PDT 2004

Quoting bruce coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> using an apolo 133a chipset, i may have a new m/b + case, amazing what
> happens when u finally get all the bailing wire attachin yer external
> p/s 2 yer "frame," but does anyone already know this board, esp. got a
> manual?

Fairly nice Slot 1 Coppermine PIII / Celeron (300-800 MHz) motherboard
as of three years back.  The full name for it is "ASUS P3V4X Apollo Pro
133A".  It's unusual in decoupling the memory clock speed from that of
the front-side bus.  (You can set them separately.)  That's mostly
useful if you have a big pile of PC100 SDRAM and don't want to immediately
go out and buy a new pile of PC133 RAM.

> This post BX chipset suppossedly still suffers latency problems vs BX
> but i can get mo ram.

Memory performance was indeed supposed to be mediocre at best, verging
on truly sucky.  That's probably the board's worst disadvantage, and
it's something to consider.  On the other hand, I assume you're getting
a good price on it.

Looks like here's your motherboard manual:
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/1/p3v4x-102.pdf

--
Cheers,                                             Live Faust, die Jung.
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com