[conspire] Hello bay area! I need help with Eth0 on RedHat 9 + VMWare

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 6 14:24:04 PDT 2003

Quoting Roger Sanchez (sanchez_roger at yahoo.com):

> I have mucked around with modules.conf changing the preset pcnet32 to
> 3c59x (which is what my laptop uses)... Here is where I am confused
> though... I assume that VMware is creating a virtual networking card
> of sorts and bridging it to my card... So maybe the pcnet32 is infact
> the right option.

It actually is.  The virtual hardware that VMware expects to talk to has
an AMD PCI bus NE2100 ethernet device, regardless of what real hardware
exists "outside the box".

I'm a little rusty on VMware configuration.  Perhaps it's something as
simple as not specifying DHCP for the virtual interface's address?

I vaguely recall that there are installation options to determine
whether there will be IP-forwarding between the vmnet1 virtual network
and the host's external interfaces, and things like that.  Perhaps you
just need to re-do the installation and heed closely those matters
during the install.

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.