[conspire] Hello bay area! I need help with Eth0 on RedHat 9 + VMWare

Roger Sanchez sanchez_roger at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 11:48:25 PDT 2003

I am running RedHat Linux 9 on VMware v 4. on top of
XP-Pro (host).  I just installed Linux 9 over what
used to be a Solaris partition (probably irrelevant
but worth mentioning).  Everything works swimmingly
except eth0.  Which returns the following error when
started: "Determining IP address for Eth0 failed no
network present, check cable?"  I have mucked around
with modules.conf changing the preset pcnet32 to 3c59x
(which is what my laptop uses)... Here is where I am
confused though... I assume that VMware is creating a
virtual networking card of sorts and bridging it to my
card... So maybe the pcnet32 is infact the right
option.  The tricky thing about this all though is by
swapping in and out the options the card has
intermittently worked twice.  Or is this just a matter
of needing to compile the module into the kernel.

Well no matter, I appreciate any and all responses!
Thanks all.