[conspire] NTFS Resizing

Nick Jennings nkj at namodn.com
Mon Feb 24 11:09:28 PST 2003

I've heard allot about Knoppix, and even recommend it to people who are
interested in Linux but probably aren't ready to wipe out their system
just to check it out. The installation script makes it easy if they
ever decide to.

I also hear it's Debian based (I am a long time Debian user myself), and
I might want to seriously consider this for my home machine. Here at work
though I spent allot of time deliberating over what I distro I should use.

The reason I chose Mandrake is because for me it's the best of both spectrums
of the Linux world (the spectrum ranging from free and less support
commercial;y: Debian, Slackware etc. to requiring money to use: Lindows,
Xandros, and to some extent Lycoris).

With Mandrake I know Wine and WineX will work good, Codeweavers etc. Commercial
packages are usually packaged for Mandrake right behind Redhat. RPMs, though
I don't like them as much as DEBs, are what most companies package their
products for, and at work I just don't want the hassle of getting things
working on a Debian system.

I have the option of paying for commercial products, without having to pay
for the Distro itself (like I would have to with Lindows or Xandros, and
Lycoris if I want to install software packages for it via. Click-N-Run).

I am very happy with Mandrake too, it "just works" and I don't have to
fiddle with much in the way of system settings, GUI interfaces for the
stuff I do have to fiddle with are really nice, especially when I have
the responsibility of "showing off" Linux to my Windows using peers.

Debian just isn't as impressive to the untrained eye. :)

- Nick